Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Wednesday in Progress - 08 Jun 2016

I just realized I forgot this week's WIP, so here it is.

I did not paint last week. The final round for this year's Iron Painter is "Critters". I DNFed (Did Not Finish) last round so I am completely out of the competition. This includes the raffle. I decided to follow along this round, but I am not submitting anything to the contest.

I went through a few ideas. The prominent one was Donald Trump being piloted by one of the creatures from the Critters movies. It felt like a bit too much work for the time frame as it would require me to sculpt and paint everything. Another idea was to paint anthropomorphic models. I can do the archery scene from Robin Hood using just mice people if I wanted to, and there are other animal people in my collection as well. The idea I settled on was to replace Star Trek tribbles with critters.



The model is from the Through the Breach female multi-part kit by Wyrd Miniatures. I originally imagined a male in the role, but there were fewer details to cut off the female parts than the male parts. There will be a mix of tribbles and critters in the scene. The tribbles in the picture are regular Sculpey (a bakeable polymer clay) before they went in the oven. That batch took me about two and a half hours. It went faster once I got a rhythm going so I might be able to do the same in two hours or slightly longer later.

The plan for the critters is to sculpt their little bodies then do their fur in the same manner as the tribbles. The model will be shooting one. The other critters and the tribbles are going to be built up behind her just out of her sight. The working title was going to be "The Complication with Critters", but I was uncertain I could get that to fit on the paper towel. I still need to figure out what to base it on and what the ground is like. I should have everything sculpted and assembled at the very least by next Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment