Pages

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Deadzone Plague - Now in Technicolor!

All of my Plagued for Deadzone are painted! Well, they were until Mantic decided to mail me a sprue of Plagued to show off how they look in hard plastic. I wrote most of this a couple months ago along with taking some in progress shots to accompany this blog post. I took dozens of pictures both during and after the painting process, but ended up with only one usable photo after I adjusted the lighting levels. I tried multiple lighting set ups and camera settings and still do not understand what is going on. This unfortunately means I have no in progress photos. I still have that sprue of Plague in hard plastic I mentioned. I may wait to paint them until after I obtain a new camera or see if it is a case of needing better lighting.


Clean up was a bit of a mixed bag. I like these models more than the Privateer Press plastic. Clean up is easier and the details are sharper by comparison even though the plastic has a similar feel to it. Mold lines were still annoying, but not to the same extent as the Privateer Press models. Games Workshop and Wyrd both produce better plastic models that are much more enjoyable to clean, but the Mantic models are very cheap in comparison and did not have me ripping out my hair.

I started by priming the models in black. I tried an experiment of hitting the models with a can of chestnut spray paint to have a brown undertone that might peek out a bit in the shadows in an attempt to tie everything together. It did not really save me any time so I am unlikely to repeat this step if I paint more Plague models in the future.

Experiment One
The first test model was entirely too dark. It is the dark model in the group shot if the reader cares to take a gander. I was attempting to go with a reddish/pink skin tone sort of along the lines of the official studio scheme, but I wanted to reign it in a little bit as the studio scheme is more vibrant than I was originally looking for. I was trying for a bit more sickly than meaty. I documented the colours used so far in order to help me keep things straight.

I brushed on Reaper's MSP HD 29801 – Crimson Red all over the model's flesh and made certain to get into all of the crevices.

The flesh was built up using MSP HD 29801 – Crimson Red, Old GW Red Gore, Vallejo Game Color 72100 – Rosy Flesh, and Old GW Rotting Flesh.

For anyone without those colours on hand, that is dark vibrant red, vibrant medium red, salmony-pink fleshy colour, and an offwhite desaturated green.

The bone protrusions were painted using MSP HD 29801 – Crimson Red, P3 Gun Corps Brown, P3 Hammerfall Khaki, Old GW Bleached Bone, and P3 Morrow White.

In other words, dark vibrant red, somewhat cool medium brown, khaki, bone, and white.

I did some glazing and deepening of shadows using GW Reikland Fleshshade, Old GW Leviathon Purple, and Secret Weapon Washes Baby Poop. The Baby Poop was a bit overpowering even when thinned out with water. These are basically doctored inks intended for tinting paint on miniatures. They are all fairly high pigment paints thinned down with additives that are more transparent and slightly thicker than actual ink.

I was okay with the colours used, but I wanted to build up to brighter mid tones. In the photo it looks like it might be a skintone of someone of African descent so looks much better in the photo. In person it is a mess with too much pink with streaks of green going through it.


Experiment Two
My second test model is the same pose as the first one. I painted the skin on the second one using the same colours but dropping the Baby Poop and Leviathon Purple. It's lighter, but not light enough. I am thinking about dropping the Crimson Red from the flesh tones altogether even though I used a lot less this time. It makes a pretty rose colour when mixed with the Red Gore and Rosy Flesh for the deep shadows, but I need to lighten up the shadows and mid tones a bit.

Experiment Three
Started by painting multiple coats of Red Gore with the Rosy Flesh to cover up the black on the flesh bits for the rest of my Plagued. The mix was somewhere between 2:1 and 1:1 with more Red Gore than Rosy Flesh. Right now they look slightly darker than raw beef which I liked as a basic look for Plague once I saw it.

I lightened up two of the puppies and three of the infantry with a mix of roughly 2:1 to 3:1 with more Rosy Flesh than Red Gore. I also mixed in some Liquitex Slow-Dri medium and Vallejo Glaze medium as I made one decent sized batch that I did not want to add water to as I wanted to try my hand at two brush blending. I think I used too big of a brush for applying the paint as this is the primary colour now. Next step was some tight highlights with pure Rosy Flesh. I reintroduced the base coat to both smooth things out and to darken the flesh up as it was losing that raw beef look.

Bone
The base for the bones was Red Gore, Rosey Flesh, and Gun Corps Brown at roughly a 1:1:2 mix. I built this up rather thinly in layers to blend it into the flesh. The next layer was Gun Corps Brown with Hammerfall Khaki in a 1:1 mix. Then pure Hammerfall Khaki. This was followed up with Hammerfall Khaki mixed with Morrow White. Finally, I did highlights that were larger than they probably should have been with pure Morrow White.

Clothing
The base for the pants was OGW Ultramarine Blue. The base for the shirts was MSP HD Ice Blue 29814. I was intending to paint my Plagued as police officers, but thought some might find it offensive. I wanted a cohesive look for a group that would have access to both guns and dogs on a colony world bordering the Dark. I started this before Ferguson so that was not even a part of the consideration at the time. I went with dark blue pants with a light blue top, but decided not to paint any badges or insignia of any sort. If I do add something later then it might be a symbol for the Corporation. Doctor Simmonds' clothes were base coated using Dheneb Darksun with Iyanden Darksun for accents. I neglected to record what colours were used to highlight or shade the clothes (beyond the washes later) and do not recall what I used at this time. I think the pants might have been highlighted with Ice Blue, the base for the shirts in order to keep the overall number of colours used down, but I can not say for certain.

Leather and Gun Casings
These areas were base coated with MSP HD Armor Grey 29837. I then highlighted up mixing in some GW Hawk Turquoise and finished off with pure Hawk Turquoise. This is a really dark neutral grae and turquise.

Bases
The bases were base coated with GW Astronomicon Grey then highlighted with P3 Frostbite.

Finishing
After base coating and highlighting I went over most of each model with a selection of washes before hitting the areas again with the final highlight. This step is to create a little more contrast and possibly smooth out some odd transitions. An example of this in the flesh areas is spot applications of red wash followed by purple wash before highlighting with Rosy Flesh to pull those highlights back out where needed. I ended up taking the flesh areas on the larger models up to pure white with very tight spots of light in an attempt to make the skin appear to glisten slightly. The bases had a collection of washes and Astronomicon Grey applied to them to offer some variation before highlighting back up with Frostbite again. I hit all the models with matte varnish (Testor's Dullcoat). I repaintied the tiny bits of white on the skin of the big guys as those spot highlights were knocked back more than I cared for. I still was not happy so followed that up with a brush on gloss varnish on the skin. The largest of the four models had the gloss varnish applied to the inner parts and I tried to avoid the strip of ripped flesh that would have been on the surface when she was Human.

I am working on my Enforcers for Deadzone now. I am not bothering to get in progress pictures, but I might see if I can find somebody to take some finished shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment