Pages

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Zappcon 2015 - Part2

Sunday was less complicated than Saturday. I awoke both days at 5:30 so I could get a bath and check my backpack before catching my ride to the convention center. My morning event was a painting class. The class was being held both days, but I really wanted to get into the Atomic Robo game from Day One. The guy leading the class is a local that had been painting for long enough he still uses the GW inks. So at least the early aughts. It was bare bones beginner, but it was still fun. It started with one round table in the board game area, but spilled over to a second. After that I wandered the dealer stalls and Artists' Alley again as well as grabbed some con food.

We went out to get the kids after a bit of shopping. All three had eyes as big as really big eyes for at least an hour just trying to take everything in. They went with their grandmother to the kids' cosplay contest as I was scheduled for another game in the roleplaying room.

The roleplaying room was much busier Sunday evening than any other time I went by there. There were still empty tables and some tables where people were just hanging out, but it was much closer to what I was expecting going into the weekend. The miniature games room never changed overly much, but that was probably because the people in there were participating in events that took up both days.

The game for Sunday evening was Kingdom. Kingdom is similar to Fiasco in that it is a GMless game where each player has a main character they portray and take it in turns to set scenes. Kingdom has a tighter focus on the types of settings offered and is set up to support campaigns spanning many sessions as opposed to the one-off games of Fiasco. Kingdom also uses no dice and not everything has to crash and burn. The game was very interesting. The problem with grabbing public single session games in the same vein as Fiasco and Kingdom is that I do not know if I like the game or the people as every time I play these games it is with a table full of experienced GMs where I am probably the weakest link at the table. The game was terrific, but I always wonder when I come away from these games how they would go with a group that is not accustomed to setting up a scene on the fly.

Zappcon 2015
Part 2 - You're reading it

No comments:

Post a Comment