Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Iron Painter Round 3 - Wednesday in Regression for 27 Apr 2016

Wyrd announced the theme for round three of Iron Painter on Monday. The theme is "Wyrd Science". We have until this counter reaches zero to submit our entries. My partner for this round is Neveroddoreven. You can find their round one entry here, and their round two entry here.

I spent most of Monday brainstorming ideas before gathering up materials. Tuesday saw me cleaning models and cutting up some wood.

The models that were to be used.

I went through many ideas. The one I settled on was a scientist using a box that allowed him to view alternate fates for himself. These would be projected into the corner of his laboratory. The corner would spin to show different possibilities for his own destiny. The whole thing would be enclosed within a larger version of the box the model is holding. Part of the detailing on the outside would include a dial that turned the portals so only one showed at a time. After all the cutting I was looking at roughly a foot deep by two feet long and seven inches tall for the outer dimensions of the box everything fits inside of. It breaks down into three pieces for storage and access. I was calling it The Dial of Destiny.

I realized today (Wednesday) that it is highly improbable I will have everything assembled to my satisfaction let alone painted before the deadline. I was looking at five different environments not including the outer casing for the larger box. I am happy this revelation is coming to me today instead of a week from now. I had a backup model already planned out for if I was down to the three day mark which will still be out should I need it later. Switching projects now gives me more flexibility. The Dial of Destiny is getting boxed for now. It may become a side project after Iron Painter is over as I like the idea.

Some of the materials for The Dial of Destiny.

The new project is technology themed Norns. I ordered Haley 3 from Privateer Press today to fill the role of the three Norns that are known for maintaining Yggdrasil. I may strip down my Old Witch of Khador that I started painting a week before round one to stand in as the maiden and drop one of the Haleys. I would use Wyrd models, but the ones I would want to use for this project are all parts of sets and for factions I do not play so I was looking at a lot of money for three models. one alternative is Abuela Ortega which I do own, but she is sealed where Old Witch is only partially painted.

The layout will be rather simple. The three models will be at the base of Yggdrasil. The well they draw water from will actually be a portal similar to the one connecting Earth and Malifaux in the game Malifaux by Wyrd Miniatures. There will be hoses and machinery to do the work instead of buckets and spades. I am tempted to add a steam shovel, but that might be a tad too silly and would require making the whole thing larger.

I am sorry about the lack of pictures for the second idea I talked about in this post. I am still in the planning phase for the layout and am working without the models on hand for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment