Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Iron Painter Round 3 - Wednesday in Progress(?) for 04 May 2016

Last Wednesday I talked about starting the third round of this year's Iron Painter. Then I talked about restarting. This week I am going to talk about restarting yet again. Shipping took longer than I had hoped for the second project I started, so I am on a backup that I started yesterday. There really is not a lot to share at this point.

The model is a Monstrosity for the Cephalyx faction in Privateer Press' Game, Warmachine. I finished cleaning, pinning, magnetizing, and putty work on this model yesterday. I had already cleaned on the model to use for gaming previously, but I gave it another go because @#$%! Privateer Press' plastic models. To be fair, the monstrosities have been a joy to clean compared to other plastic models I have picked up from the company.


The base is fairly simple. I trimmed out the center of a 50mm round lipped base and cleaned up the rim. The insert was cut from a piece of terrain for the game Deadzone by Mantic. I added some thin brass rod for some detailing while trying to keep the base somewhat subdued.

Paint wise I started by covering the model with GW Incubi Darkness and Reaper Umbral Brown. Some places this was a mix and some areas I used one or the other straight. I then started on the skin. The skin was the same colours as the shading as well as GW Tallarn Flesh and some white.


I knew I wanted to have some black areas. Originally I was thinking of making my own black, but I realized I wanted at least the faceplate and possibly some of the hoses to be man-made materials and definitely not natural. I hit most of the model with some black paint today as it did not make sense for me to use black later without having some black in the recesses on other parts of the mode.

I considered painting lava under the grate, but I was worried it might pull the eye away from the model a little too much. I did a dirty wet blend of GW Incubi Darkness and GW Enchanted Blue over the grating. I painted over the grate with a mid of Reaper Umbral Brown wixed with black for now as I think I will go with either rusty metal, or a warm metal later to contrast with the water a little bit.


I switched the recipe for the skin today to black, GW Tallarn Flesh, and white for now. I will glaze in the GW Incubi Darkness and Reaper Umbral Brown to tie the flesh back in with the rest of the model later. I also switched whites. I had a bad pot I keep trying to use and finally decided to chuck it today.

As stated, there was not a lot to really show today. I thought I would take this time to document a bit since that is part of what I hope to do with the blog. Deadline is Monday morning, so I really need to be done with this model by Sunday. It will be a tough round, but I will be content if I can get this model ready to submit at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment