Pages

Monday, April 23, 2018

Ihsan's Letters

I started a new character in an existing Dungeons & Dragons game. I wanted to have him write letters outside of the game itself. Ihsan Yima Rostami is a stranger in a fictional land which is sort of like how people picture a medieval Transylvania. He never sends these letters anywhere.


I am keeping the set up intentionally vague because the other players do not know his background yet. We played the first session with him. He attempted, and failed, to convince them he spent six months sailing from his homeland to take a trophy from a troll. The following are some snippets from letters Ihsan carries on his person that he wrote after he left his home before meeting the other player characters.

* * *

My Moon,

I worry about leaving Bhhazeru. How will we find you when the time comes. I am not yet to this new land, but the stars are already shifting. I am afraid I will be lost to you. The texts Ahmad and I have read leave no alternatives we can pursue at home. I have to go. I just hope I can still find you.

Eternally Yours,
Ihsan

* * *

Light of My Eyes,

The sea is a strange place. We go for days without seeing land. Qamar and I have been able to keep the crew from investigating our cargo. They are more disciplined than I originally gave them credit for. Still, I shall remain vigilant. I am learning much about living without land. It is a strange sensation after spending my entire life with the still ground firmly beneath me. I have started to learn their means of hunting and gathering. The breath of the gods travels quickly here with no land to slow it down.

Sweet Dreams,
Ihsan

* * *

Will of My Heart,

I crossed a threshold today. We are skirting the coast of a land called Zhou. I am sorry for coming here without you. I know how much you wanted to see one of their temples for yourself.

There is no moon in this land. This is my biggest mistake since leaving to join the hunters that day. How will we find you? Are the roads the same? I will return to Bhhazeru once my task is complete so I may find you when the time comes. There are so many unanswered questions. I know not what I have to do, but I will not allow any to stop me.

Your Ihsan

* * *

My Hana

We landed in a port town in Vernas two days ago. The locals call it a city, but it is no Ziwai. I am sorry for not writing sooner, but I had many preparations to make and used what vellum and ink I had left a moondrop and a half ago. At least, I think it was a moondrop and a half. I have been in a fog since losing you.

I have set Qamar up with lodging. He has done much for us. I dare not think what would have happened if he did not find me after your leaving. I have taken on various jobs since we landed to pay ahead on the rent. I leave tomorrow. They have libraries where I hope to answer the questions that brought me here. I will be redeemed when I see you next.

Your Servant,
Ihsan

* * *

My Guiding Star

This land is a wretched place. The air is always full of water. The scent of decaying vegetation is pervasive. I believe I may have arrived during their rain season. This is my penance. A little discomfort is to be expected. I miss you dearly.

Qamar and I found some leads. I am pushing West on my own. He is staying behind to mind things. We are living on borrowed time, but hopefully I can buy us more.

Your Cucurbita,
Ihsan

No comments:

Post a Comment