Pages

Monday, May 7, 2018

Ihsan's Leters - 7th Day of the third ten day of Winterwane 1572 MP

This is part of a series of letters a D&D character I play writes and keeps on his person. This one is a bit longer than what I plan for most. The character was too sick to write a letter at a natural stopping point. I missed the following session so am basing much of the details on what I have been told along with following the journal of another player in the group found here on reddit.

Honey Melon,

Much has happened since last we spoke. Fortune is with us. The troll hunters that tolerate me hunt other things as well. I get ahead of myself however.
The creatures that had chased me through the woods had given a doll of their own making to a child without his parent’s permission. Thankfully, I travel with good people that will take time from their own concerns to protect a child. The troll hunters permitted me to assist them in this matter. This did cause a small delay in our hunt for the troll, but I know she will understand. The Tharn boy and his neighbors are well thanks to these hunters.

More of those creatures accosted the town while I was assisting one of the hunters with the boy. I listened in as events were related later.  These beings are vile. The people are toys to them. Their emotions nothing but a form of entertainment.They are like cats with no fear of mortals.

We left the town of Luftfeld to look for a troll later that same day. These hunters do not give the sand time to shift under their feet. The troll hunters received guidance from one of the local nature callers as to where we might locate a troll along with a blossom needed to help one of the woodland creatures that appeared to be independent from the others of her kind.

Along the trail we came across some mushrooms with restorative properties at the sight of a battle between two large creatures. The hunters assured me one of the combatants was likely a troll! This was a good day even if the water continued to fall from the sky. I had gathered some of the mushrooms in case it might prove useful.

That evening I fell a boar. I will spare you the details, but I have willingly brought shame upon myself. I now know that the passage, “Partake not of the flesh of the swine for it carries the sins of man.” was written with the best of intentions. It is good one of the hunters carries the mushrooms. I was tempted to destroy what we had gathered after my unfortunate meal. I would have written to you then, but the sin was too great.

We found the troll’s lair the next day. How can so much rain fall in one place in so short a time? How do their towns stand? They are marvels of architecture that my untrained eye has been incapable of appreciating fully.

We engaged the troll in combat. Fortunately, this one had some intelligence. It was able to communicate with one of the troll hunters through a shared tongue. Many here call her “The Hunter”. After this I am starting to believe she is the one with the true training in hunting trolls. The others are valorous men of great skill as well, but the fight might have cost us dearly if the sharing of ideas was not possible. The Hunter and the troll were able to negotiate a trade. I will have the some blood after their nature caller gets what he needs. I pray it will be enough for now.

The sky turned green later that day during our travels. We moved away from the town in search of the blossom that sparks. That night we camped in the midst of great stone obelisks. The divinity conduit among the hunters examined the stones while I was busy trying to figure out the best way to keep the mud out of my boots. He found a case with a scroll written in an older form of Elvish. I could barely make out the words. The scroll glowed when I attempted to read it. I stopped upon the request of the others as I had failed to notice the change in the scroll’s appearance myself.

We moved camp after that. The Hunter told the others things of a personal nature. I will not relate them here as these are not my burdens to share. I do however find it odd yet refreshing how open and honest the people of this land are. We do not know each other, but I know more about their challenges than most of my cousins. Is this a reflection of the words, “He who does not trust will not be trusted?”

I have much to learn from these hunters. The troll hunters are helping me to navigate their customs and keeping me from making some of the larger mistakes. They are watched over by something truly wise and holy. I will write again when I can. We are headed to the bluffs in the morning.

Your Soggy Slipper,
Ihsan

No comments:

Post a Comment