Pages

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

The Lessons of Icons of Paragon City

I had this whole series typed up before I made the first post. This section keeps changing as the evaluation shifts. I decided to go ahead and post this so we can move on even though I know this is not the final state of what we have learned from this first session.

The first thing I learned is that I am racist. One of the characters on the team is a ninja in similar garb to the Tsoo (Triad) NPCs. The character was raised and trained by the Tsoo so moves like them as well. In the very first session I made a perception test on the part of the player characters to see if they could differentiate their teammate from the other ninjas. I first did it because all that is showing on any of them is their eyes. It became a running gag and the ninja's teammates were constantly confusing him with other ninjas each and every session. Story wise they have only known each other a few days so it is something I can phase out, but I laughed way too much at this.

Another thing I learned is that while Icons is built upon Fate, Icons is not Fate. The biggest difference is not the inclusion of powers and stats in place of skills, but the spread of abilities and the ability to have multiple numbers cranked up rather than a single skill or two. Starting Fate Core characters have skills ranging from +1 to +4 with several sessions before they can get a single +6 skill and can not have more skills of a given rank than the rank below it. For instance, a character can not have two +4 skills and a single +3 skill. The character must have three +3 skills so they can change one of those +3 skills to a +4 skill if they want a second +4 skill. This means that most skills are either at zero (not on the sheet), or +1 or +2. Icons goes from +1 to +10 with an additional +1 to +3 for specialties with much fewer restrictions on how many abilities reach those upper limits.

Icons also uses the d6-d6 dice variant instead of the default 4dF which helps some as there is less chance of rolling -1 to +1 (roughly 45% versus roughly 63%) and -5 and +5 actually exists, but it's not enough to compensate. I am sorely tempted to bump the dice system to a d8 or possibly even a d10 if we have another go. The spread is wide enough to where a +1 natural roll result while activating qualities still fails so I personally would like to see a wider spread. Another solution might be to have activating qualities provide a +3, or maybe even a +4 bonus as right now qualities don't shift the results enough for the players to bother with unless they want a reroll.

One mechanical difference was I had the players make all the rolls. The new version of Icons actually has both the GM and the player roll a d6 and add it to the attribute being tested. I had the players use a macro to use the old +d6-d6 instead. This was for two reasons. The first is that with roll20 this meant only one person had to use the dice rolling macro. The second reason was only players could spend determination (Fate points) to reroll the dice if the GM never rolls. NPCs could use determination for a bonus or to activate a penalty on a PC, but this left the fate of a character more in the player's hands.

Having no Damage Resistance is deadly if your character can be hit. Having too much makes a character practically invulnerable. The reason the characters dragged Pinnacle into the lake was partially because the player acting the part of the Creature from the Black Lagoon found it fitting, but also because they could not damage him. Even Mr Silk at the end was DR6 and only taking a single point of damage if hit until I let the players activate qualities (aspects for Fate folks) to increase damage. I may be missing it from the book, but I do not think that is a normal part of the Icons rules.

Having a character with average Human combat stats means she will rarely hit or dodge attacks in this game as most people in a superhero setting have at least some combat training. We had one character whom was fresh to his powers with no experience in a fight, and I could tell it was frustrating the player because the character was taking every hit that came his way while not being able to land hits on basic mooks with experience roughing non-powered people up. He did amazingly well with what he was given and tanked like a boss, but I think the first thing he is probably going to do is ask the resident ninja on the team to teach him some basics. Speaking of the ninja, I think he got hit twice over the course of the campaign, and there was quite a bit of combat. This meant I had heroes that could not hit NPCs even on slightly above average rolls without activating a quality every time they wanted to attack, and those same NPCs could not hit a different PC without activating multiple qualities on top of coordinating their attacks.

I made some adjustments to combat as well. Regeneration was something where we spread out the healing benefit because applying it all ten turns after getting hurt meant characters with regeneration would get knocked out early in a fight then pop up fresh later when most of the work was done. Something else that evolved through play was there were a lot of counterattack opportunities if an NPC missed a hero. City of Heroes oftentimes sees heroes facing off against large groups of enemies, and I would need to keep the number of NPCs quite small if the heroes were not countering their attacks. I was constantly adding complications to the heroes if they were hit hard. I would ask them first if they want the complication or to go unconscious. There was only one time a player opted to have their non-sidekick character go unconscious. Sometimes these complications were minor such as being knocked down and giving up part of their next panel (turn) to stand up, but would still be able to either attack or move (but not both) upon standing. Other times it was more severe such as losing the next panel entirely or gaining a complication that remained for the rest of the scene or longer which NPCs could activate. There was once or twice where the effect of a complication gained from staying conscious opened up future options such as one character's armour having a piece cleaved off and crawl away on its own after being separated.

I need to learn to keep better time. The original aim was three hour sessions. Every session has gone at least four hours. We do not start for the first fifteen minutes, and it can take upward of fifteen minutes to get rolling so maybe it was only three and a half hours for the shortest session, but even with those considerations most are still four hours or more. I do manage to squeeze in one to two big combats in that time along with some roleplaying elements. I am still finding that balance.

I enjoy creating specific villains with specific heroes in mind. What's more, I liked introducing pity hero, Wildtide during a session in which her hero's player was not able to attend the session. The first time that player even heard about this villain Wildtide was already on the scene and believed by all to be a hero. What was less effective was that the same hero's player was only able to play part of the last session so missed the fight including said villain. I am also enjoying weaving in various little threads along with other villains. Oddly enough, the one villain I was certain I would be able to fit in as he seemed perfect for volume one has yet to make an appearance.

One problem I ran into is I put more time into figuring out what was happening on the global/city scale than the party scale. It was helpful knowing what was happening in other parts of the city, but it also led to the party getting swept up by the city's issues rather than their own. This was not a bad thing, but I think in the future city issues will be more in the background as they continue forward than they had been in volume one.

I learned I am blessed to be part of an amazing group of players. They all know the setting better than I do. They will point out holes in my own knowledge, but they are forgiving of those holes and roll with them. Most of the players that showed up at the beginning for the world and character creation sessions stayed through to the end as well. Those that did not had priorities or other commitments to where I can not fault any of them for not making the games regularly. I have faced some anxiety over this game, but it was never because of the other people involved and always due to my own mental hang ups. I am glad I got involved with this game. This really is the most consistent fun I have had in decade or longer.


The Icons of Paragon City Series
Part Three: The Lessons of Icons of Paragon City - This Post

No comments:

Post a Comment