Pages

Monday, September 9, 2013

Scout Formula

I shared this back in December of 2012 on some local forums. I'm stealing it from there to share here because I was checking on the colours I used as I am going to be working on my other Space marines that have been sitting here in their basecoats since some time in fifth edition. Long before I actually painted these Scouts. The main differences between the scheme on the scouts and the basecoated Space Marines so far is that the Space Marines were primed with white spray paint (not primer) and based painted with Apple Barrels where the Scouts were primed with black primer and painted with the listed paints.




Since the painting contest for the Squirrel is over I thought I would talk about the paint scheme I attempted for the Scouts.



I started with a black undercoat using Rustoleum sandable primer. My other space Marines are on a white primer, but I was trying to swap some paint colors around and the black would force me to try to create some higher contrast which is one area amongst many I feel I need to work on.

Key...
NGW: New Games Workshop
OGW: Old Games Worskhop
RMSHD: Reaper Master Series HD

The Black and White I used were both from P3, but any could easily be substituted.

Primary Armour
I left some black showing and layered up from there.
OGW Scaly Green/NGW Temple Guard Blue 1/1
OGW Scaly Green/NGW Temple Guard Blue/NGW Sybarite Green 1/1/1
OGW Scaly Green/NGW Temple Guard Blue/NGW Sybarite Green 1/1/2
NGW Sybarite Green
NGW Sybarite Green/OGW Rotting Flesh

I did the armour first then realized how messy I was being so laid in the base coats for all the rest after that. The armour required quite a bit of touch up at the end because of this.

Secondary Armour
OGW Tentacle Pink Basecoat
OGW Blazing Orange shade

Armour Trim
OGW Fiery Orange Basecoat
Shade down using OGW Blazing Orange
Further shade with RMSHD Rusty Red
Build back up using the colours already used and building up to RMSHD and a touch of white in spots.

Cloth
OGW Fiery Orange Basecoat
OGW Liche Purple
OGW Dark Flesh
OGW Bleached Bone

I based then shaded down then brought it back up... sort of. I had a pattern going, but painted over that as the pattern was similar to something I had planned for the cloaks and I was worried about making the textures too busy. These were the colors I used to paint on top of the first layers of paint so the paint is a bit thick in the pants.

Scaled Cloaks
OGW Liche Purple
OGW Liche Purple/NGW Genestealer Purple 2/1
OGW Liche Purple/NGW Genestealer Purple 1/1
NGW Genestealer Purple
NGW Genestealer Purple/OGW Space Wolves Grey 1/1

The plan was to paint scales on the back of the cloaks, but I simply am not fast enough. These were the colors I ended up using. All lenses were painted using the same colors but slightly different application.

Inner Cloaks
OGW Tentacle Pink basecoat
OGW Tentacle Pink/OGW Dark Flesh 2/1
OGW Tentacle Pink/OGW Dark Flesh 1/1
OGW Tentacle Pink/OGW Dark Flesh 1/2
P3 Carnation Pink

I was worried about going too dark which is the reason for so many mixes of OGW Tentacle Pink with OGW Dark Flesh.

Flesh
I was going for Brazillian, but I'm not happy with the results.

OGW Dark Flesh basecoat
Shade down using OGW Liche Purple
Build back up going into OGW Bronzed Flesh
Work in a little RMSHD Rusty Red to the cheeks and nose for a bit of color
Final highlights were OGW Bronzed Flesh with a bit of OGW Rotted Flesh

Leather
OGW Dark Flesh basecoat
OGW Liche Purple shade
OGW Dwarf Flesh
OGW Bleached Bone

I was originally working to make them a somewhat Caucasian skin tone so that people didn't think the actual skin tones were dark by accident. The leather was lacking color and didn't look right however so I went back and tinted and reworked it using the colors listed while mixing in RMSHD Rusty Red.

Hair
Black and RMSHD Rusty Red were the only colors used.

Chaper Emblem
OGW Liche Purple Base
Clean up using OGW Tentacle Pink
OGW Liche Purple/NGW Temple Guard Blue 1/1
NGW Temple Guard Blue
NGW Temple Guard Blue/NGW Sybarite Green 1/1
NGW Sybarite Green

I think that was all the colors used. I could be missing something.

No comments:

Post a Comment