Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Pretty in Pink and Wednesday in Progress - 30 Mar 2016

Here is my submission for the first round of this year's Iron Painter. The theme for round one was Pretty in Pink. I had a lot of fun with this entry. It was weird working to a deadline. I was uncertain I would be able to accomplish this task.

My submission image.


The Troll has a stack of magnets inside it's regular base. My hope was to have it turn around on the flower. It has difficulty doing so right now. I am thinking I need to smooth out and possibly round off the bottom. I worry the troll may be off balance once I do so however so am not in a rush to make that change.

An alternate base for gaming purposes.

I made an alternate base for two reasons. The first is I do not generally paint display models. I wanted a base for gaming. The other reason is because I was afraid that with the magnets I might run into issues getting the Troll set up for photographs in the box so the base would act as extra space between the magnets under the Troll and the magnets inside the box.

EEEEEK!

I panicked Saturday. I bought a pearlescent paint which I tested on paper. It worked fine on paper. I had a lot of trouble with it on the model itself however. It filled in details and holes as well as foamed up in areas on the base as it dried. I tried various chemical solutions to remove the paint to no avail. I was cleaning a different model to do a quick job on and stick on a simple 30mm base when my roommate suggested a diamond nail file. I owe her my sanity. I went with more standard colours after that with sparkle paint mixed in.

Saved!

I have not done much painting since Monday. I am cleaning some Cephalyx and Khador models. I may finish painting Old Witch and Scrapjack if I get the itch. I have a few other in progress models I can work on, but Scrapjack is almost done, and the colours I will use to finish him will also get used on Old Witch so they are the logical choice. My plan is to take things easy this week so I might end up doing nothing hobby related.

2 comments:

  1. It looks appropriately gruesome. Lol. Congrats on finishing in the top ten percent and making gold level. Have fun competing in the next round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have no clue what is coming, but I hope to have fun.

      Delete