Pages

Friday, January 17, 2014

Abuela Start

I was going to save this up and release as one post, but it is getting a bit long for a single post.

Abuela has been pushed up my Kanban board as a priority. I entered her in a painting competition hosted by A Wyrd Place. If you are a Malifaux fan, have a Facebook account, and you are looking for a friendly community then I highly recommend taking a gander. They run a clean group that is very friendly.

The rules for the competition are pretty simple. Take a picture of a model with no paint aside from primer with the date somewhere in the picture to prove the model was not painted before January, send a dollar to help with shipping of the month's prize, and get the single model done before the end of the month.



Session One
After priming white I hit the model all over with a barely thinned coat of NGW Nuln Oil focusing on the details. I applied the colour straight from the pot then grabbed some water on my brush and applied the water and spread it about directly over the Nuln Oil on the model. I did this to help me make out the details. I should probably buy some better lights at some point, but this step helps me for now.

Base Colours and Start of Highlighting
MSP HD Entrail Pink
MSP HD Fireball Orange
OGW Boltgun Metal
OGW Golden Yellow
OGW Iyanden Darksun
OGW Midnight Blue
P3 Arcane Blue
P3 Bastion Grey
P3 Coal Black
P3 Gun Corps Brown
P3 Morrow White

MSP HD = Reaper Master Series High Density
OGW = Out of Production Games Workshop
P3 = Privateer Press Paint

I basically blocked in the sections to see if the colours worked. I have gotten into the habit lately of blocking in base colours on the model to see how they work with each other before starting on highlighting and shading. The blue was darker than it should have been, but I was being lazy and it seemed close enough to build up from. The slip was Entrail Pink built up with Morrow White. The yellow blouse was Iyanden Darksun highlighted with Golden Yellow and Morrow White. The blue dress was Midnight Blue highlighted with Arcane Blue and Morrow White. Coal Black was used to base the leather sections.

The flagstone was based with Bastion Grey with shading in Midnight Blue and Coal Black with highlights adding in Iyanden Darksun or Entrail Pink along with Morrow White. I alternated between stones which would get more Iyanden Darksun and which would get more Entrail Pink so there was some variation on each stone with a couple getting more Midnight Blue.

At this point I was not happy with the blue. I attempted to shade it using Coal Black to see it that helped. It did not so I grabbed Fireball Orange and shaded with that. It helped some, but I was not happy with the midtones at all. I think part of the problem might be is that I was originally going to have the dress be purple with the Midnight Blue being used to deepen the purple. After seeing the Midnight Blue on the model I felt blue worked better with the other colours, but I'm not sure I have the right blue.

I plan on highlighting the slip some more and may even shift it closer to white with just a hint of pink. I have done no work on the hat other than basing it in Iyanden Darksun nor the flesh other than to base in Gun Corps Brown. I did not touch the hair, metal, or wood sections yet.

Session: Two Hours

No comments:

Post a Comment